Esterhazy is a prosperous industrial and agricultural community of over 3,200 (2017 Covered Health Population) located in the southeastern corner of Saskatchewan, situated between two scenic valleys. The Qu'Appelle River Valley extends 260 km east to west from its confluence with the Assiniboine River in western Manitoba to Lake Diefenbaker in south central Saskatchewan, and the Kaposvar Valley running along the Town's north end then winding through the Town's 9 hole golf course and flows southeast along an abandoned rail line to join with the Qu'Appelle River Valley near the neighbouring village of Tantallon.
In 1903 Esterhazy was established as a village and become incorporated in 1957. Esterhazy is a major service centre for the area and offers more than 80 categories of local and national franchise businesses. It is also a major centre for public services such as health care and education.
Esterhazy is home to three potash mines, owned and operated by The Mosaic Company. The term potash dated back to the pot ash that early pioneers leached from wood ashes and evaporated in large iron pots. Today the potash that is mined at Esterhazy is used in fertilizer around the world, from North America, South America to Europe and China. Potash is rich in potassium, one of the 14 elements necessary to plant life. When reserves of potash ore were discovered in Saskatchewan in the 1950s, IMC began construction of a mine near Esterhazy. The mine shaft reached a depth of 1,030 metres at completion in 1962. Today, Mosaic operates three mines in the Esterhazy area, K1, K2 and K3. They are the world's largest combined producer of phosphates and potash.