The building housing the museum was built in 1906 by one of the district’s first merchants. From 1952 until 1968 the building was used as a barracks by the R.C.M.P.
The Esterhazy Museum Society was founded in 1969.
In 2001, the museum was moved from its original site on Veterans Avenue (formerly known as Second Avenue) to a central location in the Historical Park.
The museum also houses the tourism office for the area and is involved with town promotions. Tours are offered to school classes, seniors, organizations and any visiting group. There are also seasonal and specialty displays to compliment local interest and activities.
To book tours to any of these attractions, phone the Visitor Information Centre 306-745-5406 (May-September) or the Town Office 306-745-3942 (October-April).