Kaposvar, one of the first Hungarian settlements in Western Canada, was established in 1886.
Kaposvar Historical Society preserves, restores and maintains the Kaposvar Historic Site which consists of stone church ( 1907) stone rectory (1900) Grotto (1942) cemetery (1886) and artifacts relating to the history of the early Hungarian settlement. A homestead site was established in 1986 which includes pioneer house (1905) barn, millhouse and a rural schoolhouse.
The site is located 3 miles (5 km) south of Esterhazy on grid 637 and is open for guided tours during the summer (mid May through to September) and by appointment.Every 3rd Sunday in August a pilgrimage is held at the grotto.The stone church celebrated its centennial in 2007.
For tour information contact:
- Beatrice Twardzik (306) 745-6374
- Loreen Nagy (306) 745-2569
- Eugene Gonczy (306) 745-3474
Kaposvar Historical Society, Box 371, Esterhazy, SK S0A 0X0